Established in 1836 in Quebec, Canada, Bishop’s College School (BCS) is an IB World School offering the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and certificates. With a campus bordered by farmland and rolling hills on one side and by the city of Sherbrooke on the other, BCS is a small, welcoming community and a “home away from home” to students from 40 + different countries. We create a caring community of learning and development where cultures connect and individuals matter. By embracing a rigorous yet supportive academic program and a well-rounded education that includes athletics, the arts, leadership and development, and global citizenship, BCS is preparing students to become tomorrow’s leaders. We offer a Bilingual Option (English and French), as well as the Duke of Edinburgh's Award program, and are a proud member of Round Square, through which students can go on exchanges and volunteer abroad.
Reporting to the Director of Academics, the University Advisor provides assistance in the development and implementation of an effective comprehensive school advising program in order to provide the best services that address academic, college/university advising, and career development of all students. This is a contract from October 2022 – end of July 2023 and follows the school calendar. In-house training is available for a suitable candidate.
Duties include assisting in developing individual education plans, participating in determining the student’s suitability for university programs and providing on-going, follow up and support. This position is also responsible for SAT, PSAT and ACT testing.
- Assists in the delivery of a comprehensive school counseling program that includes college/university/career/academic/ counseling to individual students
- Supports the administration of all aspects of university (post-secondary) search and application/admission process and manages routines and procedures for an effective advising program
- Maintains administrative documents and confidential student records for integrity, accuracy, consistency, decision making and future reference and submits reports, records, and documentation in a timely manner
- Increases student success by helping them make informed decisions about their educational goals. Teaches students about the content and structure of postsecondary programs including graduation and/or requirements for a particular program of study.
- Develops appropriate university lists, assists with applications, writes recommendations, collects, completes, and sends all supporting materials
- Provides direct student services through a school advising curriculum, and individual student planning and advises students on course selection and meeting graduation requirements
- Assists students in the development of an educational plan including choosing a program of study and/or clarifying educational goals to guide the student through this decision-making process
- Researches and develops resources to assist students understand academic regulations, policies, procedures and programs
- Supports and encourages confidence in academic decision making by promoting student independence in academic processes and regulations
- Provides short-term individual and small group advising to students with identified concerns and needs
- Provides students with information about alternatives, limitations and possible consequences of academic decisions (e.g. adding, dropping and withdrawing from courses; change of program)
- Fully supports the BCS mission and values, along with the University Advising Department goals.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field
- Minimum of 1 year of experience
- Knowledge and experience in a school setting
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently in a diverse and collegial environment
- Demonstrated ability to foster a respectful and inclusive work and team environment
- Strong interest in and personal commitment to youth
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Accurate verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter and the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Organized, with a sound understanding of excellent customer service
- Detail-focused and able to manage several tasks at once
This position offers a competitive salary and benefit package. A resume and letter of interest should be sent by October 1, 2022 to:
Bishop’s College School
80 Moulton Hill, Sherbrooke, QC, J1M 1Z8
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.