Choosing the Right School for Your Child
Selection of a school for your child is the most important decision and the largest investment that you will ever make. During these twelve crucial years of development, your child spends more than half of his/her waking hours in school. Our Association knows that one size does not fit all. A parent is encouraged to choose the school that best fits the needs of their child.
Preparing to Select a School
Application for admission to a QAIS school takes place predominantly from September to December of the preceding school year for Grade 7 and January to March for Kindergarten.
You are encouraged to decide, as a family, what criteria matter most in the selection of a school. To assist you in determining criteria go to the School Search icon and call up the schools that are located closest to your home and subsequently those that fit the criteria you have decided upon. This will narrow down your search. Link to the school’s profiles and click on the web site address to link directly to the school’s websites!
Once you have narrowed down your search, the following steps will assist you in making your final choice:
- Contact the School’s Admission Office for an Information Package;
- Attend the Open House, click on the Open House icon for more information;
- Find out about Admission Tests, click on the Admission Test icon for more information;
- Call the School to schedule a visit;
- Talk to present students, staff & administrators;
- Confer with parents whose children presently attend or have graduated from the School;
- Chat with alumni/alumnae;
- Contact the school to inquire about attending an up-coming school event;
- Inquire about the School’s scholarships and financial assistance bursaries;
- Complete the required application form and submit the accompanying documentation.
- Contact the QAIS Office for any assistance that you require.
QAIS Schools provide:
- A challenging and solid academic base
- Knowledge and competency-based instruction aimed at the development of critical thinking
- Cutting-edge teaching methodology and approaches
- A professional network and access to high quality professional development resources
- Differentiated teaching and learning strategies with students
- Varying levels of French programmes to support bilingualism
- Enriched Science and Technology and Mathematics programmes
- Integration of technology focused on present and future students' needs
- Student academic and social support
- Student access to Secondary and Post-Secondary education
- Membership in a culturally diverse community
- Character building based on the value system of a global citizen
- Service learning experiences
- Team Building and Leadership opportunities for students
- Informal learning experiences promoted by co-curricular activities
- Athletic programmes
- A safe and secure physical plant
- Valued student, parent and staff membership in a caring learning community